Thursday, June 02, 2005

Selling to a Salesman...

Well, the title is misleading. Actually, this is what I tried to accomplish. I thought I pulled it alright but as events unfolded, reality dawned on me.

I was trying to sell my M800 to a dyed-in-the-wool baniya-ka-balak(BkB) used car dealer. And I realized that I have a lot to learn before I even dream of a career selling soaps and oils.
It all started with a meeting on 31st night. BkB came with a 'party' to me with a quote which was a tad lower than what I was expecting. Usual bargaining ensued. I didn't budge from my stand. BkB upped the ante but just short of my price. I didn't take it, BkB was disgusted, He almost came down to mouthing profanities. He alleged that I had insulted him and blah blah. I said GoodBye.

Digressing to the 'party' for a moment. The guy who came to my home was different from the couple of guys that had 'tried' my car the day before. Anyway, once BkB left, some half an hour later, the new 'party' came with the 'original' party. I did some badmouthing about the BkB to them. They were amused. But these were softer guys, the deal was settled at my price. And once the deal was settled BkB resurfaced, he gave me the 'bayana' and the next argument was about who would keep the car overnight. All three hounded me and then a cousin came to my rescue. This cousin himself is a pucca businessman and he knew BkB well enough. What I then discovered amazed me. The original 'party' was BkB's brother and father. So basically BkB was trying to extract commission for selling my car to him!

Eventually, I had my price and I kept the car overnight. This was a mild ego-booster, coz I knew it isn't easy getting BkB kinds around. What I falied to realize was that BkB was a master businessman, he had decided to give in small quarters (by showing himself to be flexible). This softened me and he took back more than what he had conceded the next morning.

We were supposed to start at 9:30 the next day but BkB didn't arrive before 11:00. He made us sign all kinds of documents saying that he'll fill in the details rightaway. He told us that his cheque being of the same bank as our loan, it would realize in couple minutes. The money over and above the outstanding loan amount and 'bayana' was to be paid as a post dated cheque to be encashed once the bank delivered the NoC.

Once in the bank, we realized that cheque would take three days to clear as this was inter-division transfer. BTW, we paid for the parking and fuel. And he made 5 stops en-route back home for his personal work. He had already taken the delivery of the car and had given us a signed a delivery note. Post dated cheque was handed to us alright but we had handed our car only upon the basis of 'bayana' and he had all the documents signed! More descriptively, I had handed over the car on 15000 Rupees cash and rest was all cheques! I shudder to think what if cheques don't realize...

To rub salt to our wounds, he took 51 Rs. shagun money when he took the keys from my father. Also, he never filled the signed forms, he says that he'll fill it once he has a buyer, this way he'll manage to show our car as a genuine 'party' car and not a dealers car. He is now haranguing us that we help him sell our already sold car by posing as the genuine party. All because he has hungry kids at home (BTW he drives a honda city...)

badly beaten...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ankur Pruthi said...

Abe tension kyunleta hai yaar...

doosri gaadi hai na!!!

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job done mate ,
Carry on this spirit , 2-4 baar girke hi aadmi sikhta hai , ak aur maze ki baat batata hu , jo chandelier tere ghar main laga hai , hum usme bhi thore se lute hain , courtesy baniye ka beta- mera dost muze yeh baat thore dino baad hi pata lag gaye thi lakin maine socha ki ,dost ki kya galti hai usne to business kiya hai . is liye tuze nahi bataya , bus fark yeh tha ki baki logon se margin 30% leta tha vo , aur humse 25 % kamaya usne .
but any way after long time, i liked your posting .
tarun

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home