Thursday, April 14, 2005

Pyaas (and Aap ka Abhijit)

The one mistake that I committed when I bought 'Ohi Chann Ohi Rataan' was that I was expecting another 'Saun di jhadi', and quite obviously I was disappointed with the result. This time around, I had no such mega expectaions and I'm a lot more pleased with the new album. It's a potpourri of 8 tracks. Heres my take on each of them. The album begins with 'Mitran Di Chhatri', the song being flashed all over TV these days and it indeed is one of the better songs of the album, basically its about the 'craze' amongst the desi girls to go to 'vilayat' leaving the local doods in a lurch. Second song is 'Mere dil vich', its soft and senti, good to hear but nothing exceptional. 'Kandh Tapke' the third song is in the mould of 'pind pehra lagda' and 'raat chandni' from previous albums, little new on offer but still decent enough to hear. It is followed by 'Laarian de Naal' which is the better of the two 'sad' songs in the album. The next song is 'Pakki kanak', Babbu Mann is in his element, for me undoubtedly, this is the best song of the album. This is followed by a tribute to Surjit Bindrakhiya in 'Pind deyan Juhan', tribute alright but the song is not in keeping with the general mood and the beat of the album. This is followed by 'Hiqq utte Gut' which even talks about tattoo's on hiqq!!! It is a good foot tapping number but nothin exceptional again. The last song of tha album is 'Teri Baanh fadni', which is how this jatt feels after gulping four pegs of whiskey(?). he talks about Open Pajeros and compares 'chadhdi-jawani' with a tsunami wave, WoW!!! All I can say is that despite of the corny lyrics, this might turn out to be the chart-topping song.

All in all, Saun Di Jhadi had a distinctive rustic tone to it, both music and lyrics but now Babbu Mann sseems to be drifting towards techno ever since, the effect is there to see in 'Mitran Di chhatri'. As for me, I prefer the Babbu Mann of yore, the guy with brooding eyes who sang 'lokan ne piti tunpka tunpka' but as long as he churns out some good music, I'm OK with it. I won't say Pyaas is a great album but it is good enough and will manage to please fans like me.

Also, I bought the CD of 'Aapka Abhijit' (Indian idol) and whosoever reads this blog, plz spread the word, it is really really bad and at 175 bucks, you'll feel robbed....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paaji you have given me the chance to listen the Abhijit's album, and except the song that he performed on indian Idol show, all other are boring.

ashish srivastava
www.geocities.com/ashishucr/index.html

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pyaas is much better than saun di chadi... if you understand a bit of punjabi, try understanding the lyrics dude!!! its not all about dancing..

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home