Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Rohtak

I attended my brother-in-law's wedding last Sunday in Rohtak. It was a typical Rohtak wedding. The point of this piece is that earlier, whenever I had the (mis?)fortune of attending some marriage party in rohtak, I have met with some kind of accident. A few years back, on a cousins wedding, I fell in a gutter. Thankfully, It was dry. I was neck deep into it and this was right outside the entrance of the tent. Quite a spectacle it would have been!!!

In 2002, one more of my Rohtaki cousins got married, It was a fairly decent place in Rohtak but it didn't have much of a parking. I parked my car alongside a colony road. I came back in the morning to discover that my car was badly hit. I couldn't believe it but thats the way Rohtak is. Its a town of early risers, a town that moves at its own pace (with its fume spitting three wheelers), its pigs, its broken roads, its milk based economy and a very typical railway station. And to my amusement, although things are changing but the city never loses its character. BTW, Although, 3 out of 6 of my cousins in Rohtak are married, 3 are still left. Don't know what is in store for me.

Anyway, I used to like the days that I spent at my maternal uncle's home in Rohtak medical college campus. With its greenery, its mango trees, the camp side which one reached after jumping the boundary wall, the local ice-cream-cone vendor who came without fail in summer evenings and the monkeys, it had an old world charm, yes I do miss it.

I also visited the village of my wife. Quite a village that, plenty of things that i noticed. Least of all, the cool breeze that was everywhere, the houses were big and naturally lit, the food sumptuous, and the hospitality even better. No wonder, ppl in their ripe old age too were so healthy and attentive. One thing that will remain with me is that during a visit to a temple there, I could see men and women, young and old alike, all laughing heartily on a lazy monday afternoon. That is pretty much unimaginable for someone born and brought up in a metropolis. Some life that!!!!!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alter Ego:

yaar Gaurav kya tujhe sirf yahi blog pakau laga????

baba mujhe lagta hai ye banda ek bohat hi bada fake hai jo khud ko creative dikhaane ki koshish mein laga rehta hai!!!

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the comment by Alter Ego sounds good.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Paramanand said...

I think this guy is mad enough to invent his alter ego for writing comments

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaar Ankur ,
Tuze kya ho gaya hai dost, kabhi jabardast SMS aati hain teri to main thora tense ho jata hu , lakin jab yah tera blog parta hu to lagat hai ki tu mast aaissh kar raha hai bus thora sa jaida patnivarta type ho gaya hai .
baki tere phone ak abhi tak integaar hai jo tune muze rohtak pahuchne ke baad karna tha.
tarun

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home