Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Thank God its Thursday!!!

Its thursday and "Indian Idol" is on air tonight. "--- Idol" has proved to be a jackpot for fremantle media. It started with "Pop Idol" in UK, they followed it up with "American Idol", then came "Australian Idol", "NZ Idol", "Malaysian Idol", "Singapore Idol" and what not. Last heard, Nalini Singh's Nepal One was copying it for "Nepal Star".

So what makes "India Idol" special??? Afterall, Sony stopped airing "Jassi" on thursdays and Jassi wasn't anything short of being Indian Idol if TRP's are the right indicators. BTW, my mother is an avid follower of Jassi and my wife feels that it is good in the sense that it doesn't show ppl marrying, cheating, remarrying, recheating or cribbing about their in-laws. Not only this, but a neutral eye might even feel that the show is stage managed with hamming hosts, pompous judges creating a mega fracas.

I believe it has worked because a) Sony promoted it aggressively and b) it isn't bad. The same funda which applies to say, Karan Johar - SRK films. Have a bankable star cast, above average music and then promote it as a masterpiece. K3G is not a masterpiece or a classic by any stretch of imagination. It is a play-safe movie, well within the contours of an average film but with a big canvas. Besides, What helps Indian Idol is that the show does have some talented but seemingly not-so-well-off contestants. I bet my money on Prajakta, Rahul Vaidya or Amit Sana. Anyone else, and it'll be a minor miracle for me. Initially, I did vote for Ravinder Ravi but that meant Rahul Vaidya was out, I realized my folly. My typical Indian mentality was at work, don't know whether it was pity, past performance or punjab, Like Elections, and like most indians, I let my heart overrule my mind...

But I also can't deny the fact that Indian Idol is a hot topic of conversation at tea-time, and not on friday alone. Last time, I followed any show on the tube so religiously must have been Chanakya and it was long long back. Good Job by Sony helped by poor poor jobs by other channels. Finally, my TV is playing something other than etc, etc punjabi and Aaj Tak. Getting nostalgic about some TV shows that used to be so popular, Neenv, indra-dhanush, sigma, buniyaad and a host of others. But I'd leave that to some other day...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed all the episodes of Australian Ideol here in melbourne.the finalists named "Casey donovan" and "anthonie colliea" have become the stars of the nation after reaching finals and on the last day when they both performed on sydney opera , for the first time in six months ,the parkings of nite clubs were empty on friday night , i presume this kind of atmosphere is also created by indian ideol there , i think i am missing a real good show..... , add my vote for the person whom u think will be a winner .
tarun

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home