Sunday, April 02, 2006

Why I'll hit 'mute' when Arun Lal speaks...


Often, Good Commentary can enhance the experience of watching a cricket match. Having grown up on a diet of cricket across the world (and especially down under) and listening to stalwarts like Benaud (amazing 'economy of expression') and Boycott, I'm really disappointed with what our Indian Channels are dishing up. Not sure if this adhoc-ism of commentary teams is due to frequent switching of broadcasters but whatever the reason, most of the commentary teams being put up are pathetic at best.
Arun Lal is a case in point. I could see it coming for many a match but now I've firmly made up my mind on him. I've rarely seen(heard) him provide any insight. And has an tremendously irritating voice to top it. Don't think he is ever able to see the broader picture. Comments generally on the past ball, or whatever the fellow commentator initiates. Generally has a poor knowledge of the history of the game, rarely ever able to come with anything useful or analogous from the past (due to his own at-best mediocre playing record?). In the Faridabad ODI, when Nasser Hussain made some sort of a disparaging remark on Sehwag's record, all he could think of was his 195 in Australia (totally forgot SAF and England). Sadly, he was terribly inarticulate and you couldn't make out if he was agreeing or disagreeing.
The worst part these days is that he seems to be on air whenever there is cricket, regardless of the channel. For the readers who share my misery, I daresay, this is just the beginning. Probably we'll have to live with it because a certain Mr. Thawani would be keen to cut costs on production. And Arun Lal I believe would be a bargain in comparison with say, a Mark Nicholas.
Over the past couple of years, Commentary standards have been deteriorating, not saying that only firangis make good commentators. Dean Jones, I feel is a poor county cousin of Bill Lawry. Current Series, feel that only Gower and Atherton are good. Sivaramakrishnan is okay too but the others are eminently avoidable.
How I wish some of our commentators could turn up into something like Michael Holding, Ian Chappel, Paul Allot or even someone like Charles Colvile or Tony Cozier.

2 Comments:

Blogger reshu said...

Same feeling mate:(
This guy makes Sanjay Manjrekar look like a Richie Benaud

7:17 AM  
Blogger Vishak said...

Nice post man! By the way Reshu recommended me your blog. I dont fully agree with your post though. I think Dean Jones is quite good. The terrorist remark did him in but I think his commentary is not bad.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home