Friday, July 29, 2005

Sleep, WC's and lessons...


For the major part of the last ten years, I've used the Indian style WC, squat 'n all. But when I came here, I was surprised to see that the washrooms on our floor only had European style WC's. This has been a constant source of trouble for me in the last month. I'll shortly come to the reason why.

No amount of sleep, however much, is adequate for me. I always get up sleepy and looking for more sleep. And to top it, I have a hereditary ability to sleep at any possible place/occassion. I can sleep while talking on phone, standing in the bus, sitting in a class(no big deal!), or even while eating. And there is a huge amount of sleep-deprivation/sleep-debt around the time of quizzes which compounds the problem.

So what happened yesterday was that I went to answer the nature's call at 8:00 AM and to my horror, it was 8:55 AM when I got back. I was not constipated, I guessed it would have been sleep again. The European WC is inherently sleep inducing because of its very comfortable(!) posture. Sitting on it, someone like me can easily drift from the state of early-morning-semi-consciousness to deep slumber. And once I slept, I had no natural way to be awakened. And I got up only when there was slamming on the door.

All said, if it had been an Indian WC, as I have experienced in the past, the moment you sleep, there is an imbalance and you wake up with a start (This is how I explain the utility of the tap-close-to-the-floor, it helps in regaining balance!). A possible alternative could be Indian style squatting on the European WC but the risk of injury and the probability of waking up with feet in a wrong place is very high. (My floor-mates might kill me for even thinking this!).

Anyway I've learnt my lesson, I make it a point to use the Indian style WC on the floor below, I'm much better off, I get to my classes on time and catch an odd nap as well...

5 Comments:

Blogger Vijay said...

ha ha lol... nice thoughts...

nice topic rather, ToI is craving for exactly such a topic. send it to them. They wont mind putting it on the front page.

"Indian WCs improve productiviy at office - A study."

1:30 AM  
Blogger Ankur Pruthi said...

@Vijay: abe 'working' on saturdays????

I hope alls well!

Waise ToI mein koi contact hai kya, need cash badly already ;-)

2:24 AM  
Blogger Vijay said...

alls well...
came for mail checking ...

ToI ka mein pooch leta hoon... currently iam bit busy with my toefl prep...

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha....sahi tha bahut. maja aa gaya padh kar.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new book ready to be published : "Ankur's experiment with his WC postures"


ashish srivastava

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home